Sunday 2 September 2012

#1 Monday to Friday Man.

 

Title: Monday to Friday Man.
Author:  Alice Peterson.
Publisher: Quercus (21 July 2011) - Kindle Edition
Genre: Romance/ChickLit.
Synopsis: What do you do if you're 34, single and recovering from being jilted two weeks before your wedding day? This is the dilemma Gilly Brown finds herself in. While friends are marrying, having children and moving into the depths of the countryside, Gilly finds herself alone in London and holding on to her fractured family with their tragic past. It's time to meet new people. 

So, she decides to get a Monday to Friday lodger, and after a succession of alarming interviews finally finds the perfect one in the shape of handsome reality television producer Jack Baker. Gilly falls for Jack's charm and is transported into an exciting social whirlwind of parties, dining out and glamour. When Jack is introduced to Gilly's family and friends, it's only the attractive and eccentric Guy, the newest recruit to her dog-walking group, who isn't quite so convinced about Jack's intentions. As Guy watches them grow closer, his suspicions of Jack and his feelings for Gilly deepen. Is Jack so perfect after all... and what exactly does he get up to at the weekends?



My Thoughts: 
   
The book instantly engages the reader from the first page,  through the use of short punchy sentences we are instantly feeling uneasy, like we're missing something and we must find out what, we already are hooked, but who is this man? What has he done to her that she cannot bear to see him? And why can't he look her in the eye? Already I wanted to know more. Monday to Friday Man has funny periods throughout, some of the situations that different characters find themselves in are laugh out loud funny, some are cringeworty and some can rbing a tear to your eye, I found myself relating to some of her experiences myself, another way in which the book has engaged me. The characters are good, with  many different kinds of people being being introduced, some are developed more than others and these characters are fantastic. The story is good and easy to follow and didn't take a long time to read which sometimes I find is a good thing. As well as humour and romance the book also held a back story which tugged at my heartstrings, and I found myself shedding a tear or two, this delicate subject was written so well and so carefully.

Overall I found this book engaging, entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I will look out for this author in the future as I hope to read more of her work.   

Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment